The Fraser Coast and Hervey Bay is a mecca to tourists / locals, especially those who are lucky enough to holiday / live there. Accommodation comes in many shapes and sizes to suit families, pets, nature lovers, beachgoers. It’s hard to avoid the balmy atmosphere as it’s always got the best weather forecasts year round. If there is simply one word you are looking for to describe this region it is – SPECTACULAR!
The Fraser Coast Regional Council area is within the Wide Bay Burnett Region of south-east Queensland, with Hervey Bay about 2.5 hours from Sunshine Coast (200km), 3.5 hours from Brisbane (290km). You can fly to Hervey Bay from Brisbane or Sydney. There’s a bus service with Greyhound Australia from Brisbane or rail via Queensland Rail to Maryborough West and then transfer to Hervey Bay (by taxi).
It’s the only place in the world where a rainforest grows from a sand base, K’Gari (formerly Fraser Island) is a treasure trove for natural wonders and only a 40 minute ferry ride from Hervey Bay.. K’gari is the world’s largest sand island and a World Heritage-listed cornucopia of terrain, diverse landscapes and unique wildlife experiences.
Wellness & Pampering
- Get pampered at Bella Butterfly
- Experience relaxation and rejuvenation at Hervey Bay Massage and Day Spa
- Mineral Earth day spa destination
- Serenity Skin Spa offer a holistic approach to beauty – skin, body and mind
- Skin and Wax Clinic offer a wide and comprehensive range of beauty therapies
- Pampered by Amy gets hot reviews so book well in advance
- The crew at Ocean Therapies offer a variety of styles and techniques for their massages
- Ultimate Skin Clinics is a wonderful bespoke beauty therapy service including medical beauty therapy by a local medical practitioner
- Top reviews too at My Beauty & Wax is located at 15A Main Street, Pialba, QLD
- The Natural Touch Body & Skin Treatment Centre is located at 4655/123 Torquay Rd, Scarness QLD
- A home-based beauty Seaside Skin and Beauty. Call 0407 473 595
- Oceanside Hair and Beauty is located at Shop 5/352 Esplanade, Scarness, QLD
Neonails is located at 2/31 Main Street, Pialba, QLD
Explore & Discover
- Leave the crowds behind and explore the unique and untouched remote west coast of World Heritage listed K’gari (formerly Fraser Island) and be one of the few to explore parts of the island only the locals know about. A full day outing you’ll be cruising over to the island, you will spend your day snorkelling, kayaking, swimming, and bush walking. Included are free transfers from Hervey Bay accommodation, expert guides, lunch, morning /afternoon tea, snorkelling, kayaks, tube rides and see whales in season (May to Novembre). Read more here about Tasman Tours
- Explore Hervey Bays numerous beautiful beaches that line the esplanade great for families with calm waters, some with playgrounds too.
- K’Gari (Fraser) Island – Drive up to beach to reach the Champagne Rock Pools or drive towards the middle of the island to see the clear freshwater Lake McKenzie. A very serious matter is leaving your rubbish behind. It’s a non-no, for both the environment and your safety as dingoes roam wild on the island. Make sure you leave no food or garbage behind as some local dingo’s. Stay away from them and don’t be tempted to pat them. Some say that Hervey Bay offers the best hump-back whale experience in season (May to November). Find a variety of half and full day trips at Blue Dophin Tours; Freedom Whale Watch or Tasman Ventures
- Find various Kgari (Fraser Island) Tours 2, 3, 4 and 5 day, group and private tours.
- Hervey Bay Marine Tours have a wonderful saying that goes like this…”If I owned heaven and the Great Sandy Strait – I’d rent out heaven and live on the Sandy Strait”. A family-owned business, it’s dedicated to protecting the beloved ocean. They’re passionate about sharing their knowledge with others and believe that learning from the Butchulla indigenous people is the best way to understand nature.
- A treasure trove of beaches run up and down the Fraser Coastline – nearby Rainbow Beach or Tin Can Bay, which is located south of Hervey Bay around a 1.5 hour drive. If you head further north for longer drives, it’ll take you to the Southern Great Barrier Reef, Bargara and the Coral Coast that dot the coastline with that beachside lifestyle that one becomes accustomed to in this region. Visit Baraga and the Coral Coast
- Stretching almost a kilometre into the Pacific Ocean is one of the longest piers in Australia is the historic Urangan Pier that’s one of the best locations for windsurfing or kite surfing, and beginner surfers with their L plates on, to the more seasoned riders. Location is the corner of The Esplanade and Pier Streets Hervey Bay QLD
- Nearby Lady Elliot Island, a short sail or a scenic flight – to see above and below the water you must venture to Scenic Lady Elliot Day Trip that represents amazing value for its 7 hour day trip. Lady Elliot Island is home to over 1,200 species of marine life with beautiful coral cay and known for its large populations of giant manta rays and turtles. It is located at the southern tip of the World Heritage Listed Great Barrier Reef.
- Point Vernon is the largest rocky promontory on the Fraser Coast, elevated, providing beautiful views across the Pacific Ocean. Gatakers Bay, The Gables off the shoreline is a coral reef, ESA Park (between Aplin and Flinders Street) with beach access and tidal rock pools, a playground and park facilities. Point Vernon is a starting point for the Hervey Bay Esplanade trail.
- WetSide Water Park is located on the foreshore at the junction of Main Street and the Esplanade, Hervey Bay. Brilliant days out with the family it’s got loads to keep the kids smiling all day with…
- Aqua Ninja adventure course
- Water play area
- TotSide for under 5s play
- Coffee shop, fish and chip shop and restaurant adjacent
Entry into WetSide is free however there is a cost for the Waterslides and Aqua Ninja and during Queensland State school holidays WetSide is open 7 days from 10am to 5pm, but not in winter.
- See the World Heritage listed Kgari (Fraser Island) the way it should be seen, on a Latest Seadoo GTI 1500cc with Fraser Coast Jet Ski Tours.
- Boat, kippered or bare boat, and various yacht charters can be arranged through Sweet Escape Charters, Fraser Island Boat Charters, or Blue Sky Boat Hire located in the Urangan Marina where you can also hire a party boat.
- Buallum Nyia or Pelican Banks is a fabulous destination for families or romantic couples getaway. The waters are shallow and pristine. The natural sand bay is located just off K’gari. Depart the Great Sandy Straits Marina. Find out more Pelican Bank Tour
Annual Events to look out for:
- Hervey Bay Family Carnival 30 June – 9 July
- Mary Poppins Festival 2 July
- Hervey Bay Whale Festival Blessing of the Fleet 15 July
- Numerous art exhibits and galleries- see retail escapes below
- Odysseus’ journey may have been sprinkled with gods and mythical creatures and Odyssey Bistro journey is no exception and arguably the best eatery in Hervey Bay. Their daily changing menu is a rarity and pays homage to locally sourced and fresh produce.
- Situated on the Charlton Esplanade of Hervey Bay, Banksia Seafood and Grill enjoys gentle sea breezes in a modern seaside venue.
- Acquavue located on Hervey Bays waterfront open for breakfast, lunch and dinner caters for all dietary requirements, including gluten-free and vegan
Labella Italia – authentic pizza
Tresalsas has great Mexican and favourites with kids
- The Dock Hervey Bay overlooks the marina and is a cool themed bar and eatery with cocktails menu, an epic beer list, wicked wine list and Tapas style food menu.
- The Bayswater Bar & Grill has one of the best ocean views in the Bay.
- Be transported back to the fabulous 1950’s at the Happy Days Diner Maryborough. An all American fun experience minute you walk through the doors of Happy Days Diner in Maryborough, Queensland. The music, the movie stars, the cars and of course – the food of America in the days of Elvis Presley, Chevrolet Bel Air, Marilyn Monroe, huge hamburgers and milkshakes.
- Portside Cafe and Restaurant is located in the portside Heritage Precinct on Wharf St, Maryborough overlooking the Mary River. It presents seasonal modern Australian menu with Southern Californian/Mexican influences.
- The Carriers Arms in Maryborough is open 7 days a week for lunch & dinner for bistro and classic pub favourites menu. Child friendly, there’s a dedicated kids entertainment room suitable for children aged 3 years to 13 years, including play stations, amusement games, kids’ TV channel and more.
- @brewviewcafe has beautiful views at Point Vernon, stop, graze and gaze at Brew View Cafe
- Find Salt Cafe on the beachfront side of Oceans Resort & Spa along the Esplanade at Urangan open from 7 am to 2pm daily
- @Codyscoffeeshack is a cute coffee stop with beach views located at Codys Coffee Shack, 400 Esplanade, Torquay QLD
- Alowishus has a Maryborough store has a full service kitchen offering all day breakfast and lunch. Its two Bundy locations are Grab N Go
- Bayaroma is a busy little café ideally located on the Hervey Bay Esplanade in beautiful Torquay, opposite the best swimming beach in the Bay, the popular train park and great picnic spots on the foreshore.
- Go for breakfast, lunch or dinner and choose from an extensive menu that showcases the freshest and finest ingredients that Hervey Bay and the Fraser Coast has to offer at Cafe Balaena. It’s got atmosphere, cuisine and views, what more could you wish for!
- Brunch away at Enzos on the Beach
- Bar Soma – great cocktails and Sunday lunch
- 19XO is cocktail, wine and pizza experience with 5pm to 6pm sunset drinks every night
- With views over the marina the The Boatclub bistro serves gastro pub food and seafood in a spacious, child-friendly venue with outdoor seating.
- Open 10am to 10pm is The Clubhouse with a courtesy bus on Friday and Saturday nights
- Cafe food and New York style sandwiches can be found at Eat in the Bay
- Open 7 days for lunch and dinner for casual dining is The Beach House Hotel
- Iconic Urangan Pier Park Community Markets at 6/8 Pilot St, Urangan QLD, is located adjacent to the Urangan Pier located at Flea & Street Markets. Open 7am to noon Wednesday and Saturdays.
- Get your guide to Hervey Bay Markets here. For example Nikenbah Markets, Maryborough Markets, Koala Markets In Urangan, Torquay Beachside, Howard County Markets and Burrum Heads Markets
- Le Petit Chocolatier has handmade chocolates located at 11 Main St Pialba Hervey Bay
- Haighs Jewellers is an extraordinary boutique, family run over 30 years that includes repairs, remodels, renovatesand specialises in unique handcrafted designs to client specifications.
- Mary Ryans is a bookstore books, cards and gifts
- Browse at Hervey Bay Regional Gallery home to a variety of workshops (art, pottery), events and activities and even has a seasonal garden.
- The Ashleigh Manley Studio Gallery displays the works renowned master of watercolour works for four decades of Australian watercolourist, Ashleigh has also expanded his portfolio to include hand stencilled silk screen prints, etchings as well as acrylics on canvas.
- Hervey Bay Art Society offers art education, exhibits and gallery.
- Discover statement pieces for your home at Ellen Foulds Fine Art Photography
- The Hervey Bay Hat Company is located at the Urangan Pier, where you’ll discover the unique and eclectic style of headware.
- Stockland Hervey Bay, Bay Plaza and Eli Waters shopping centres spruik many of the usual retail brands and local retailers.
If you think the Fraser Coast and Hervey Bay sound like an amazing holiday destination, why not see our Stays with a WOW accommodation.