Sutherland Downs Retreat give their Top Hosting Tips. This is real life advice from Travellarks hosts, Ben and Ali, owners of the stunning accommodation, Sutherland Downs Retreat, Mid Coast to ask them about Sutherland Down’s 9 Top Holiday Ownership Tips.
Tell us a little about yourselves. We’re Ben and Ali. We live on the Northern Beaches of Sydney with our 3 kids. I run an Education Tech company called ClassCover and Ali is the Senior Operations Manager for Cerebral Palsy Alliance.
How and why did you enter into the accommodation business? We had been looking at rural properties that have close proximity to the beaches (esp those in the Pacific Palms area) for quite some time. We are very grateful to live close to the beach in Dee Why so the idea of being in one of our favourite parts of the world but on a big piece of land really appealed. When we looked at the ability for a home perfect for the accommodation for a larger number of people for a smaller per person nightly cost, it sharpened our focus on places like the ones in Coomba. After a couple of attempts, we were in complete disbelief to have an offer accepted on Sutherland Downs.
So what’s your take on Sutherland Down’s 9 TOP Holiday Ownership Tips?
- Community Connection. Our awesome dream team of locals- Becky our manager and Aiden who maintain our accommodation, have everything sparkling and ready to go. There are many friendly local tradespeople who also chime in to keep things in working order and up to date. Being plugged into the community absolutely elevates the guest experience.
- Target Market. For us, it’s multi family groups (whether it be from the same family or different) we believe are ideal. The place and property does however, suit everything from work retreats, birthday gatherings and family reunions too. It’s the perfect accommodation for all seasons.
- Put yourselves in the shoes of your guest. To create an awesome experience, we feel that you need to have maximum amounts of empathy for your guests. Put yourself in their shoes and create a getaway that will have them wanting to book again and again. Our accommodation has so much here to create that holiday feeling!
4. Offer something extra. Guests book fee free through Travellarks and the small touches have the biggest impact, like our grazing platter on arrival, 6 pack of local craft beer, a bottle of Great Lakes Wine… and the absolute winner, a bag of carrots to feed the ponies!
5. Listen to guest feedback. They love how spacious the accommodation is whilst being able to sleep so many people (up to 21). They also love the ponies, Blackie and Zorro, the pool, the games room and the quiet!
6. Know your area and what it can offer your guests. The natural beauty in close proximity to the property is by far the best attribute of the area. World class destinations like Seal Rocks, Blueys Beach and lesser known gems like the Pacific Palms Rec Club (for $1 oysters on Sunday!) or the hike to the Whoota Whoota lookout are just scratching the surface of what’s available in the area. The world seems to value experiences over the material things in life more and more. This means that perhaps the absolute mod cons in a house are often not as highly regarded as some awesome local knowledge about where to get fresh prawns or local craft beer.
7. Focus on high impact, lowest effort tasks. Don’t fall for only doing the things you like doing and are good at in your business. Always try to expertly manage the balance of time spend, money spend and level of quality.
8. Seek Improvements. Sutherland Down’s Retreat give their Top Hosting Tips. This includes always having safe and secure improvements and following the council’s legal and engineering guidelines with safety ensured. We’re now wanting to install a wood fired hot tub with a cracking view of a property and lake. We will also commence our fruit orchard dream in the late winter / early spring. If you’d like to help, bring seeds!
9. List with the Right Platform. I’m a big fan of ‘delegated decision making’ which is where you put your trust in someone to make a choice for you. The way Travellarks said that they chose only properties with certain attributes, ensuring that guests will always get an awesome experience, really appealed. Also, being around the energy of the Travellarks girls who work hard with owners to grow their platform & encourage our skills.
Sutherland Downs Retreat give their Top Hosting Tips. These are helpful to other owners and hosts and anyone wishing to give their guests a fabulous holiday. Follow these tips and guests will definiately enjoy the fruits of their labour. x
To book Sutherland Downs Retreat.