A Roadtrip from Sydney to the South Coast of New South Wales (NSW) offers a fantastic opportunity to explore the stunning coastal scenery, charming towns, and natural wonders of the region. Here’s a suggested itinerary with stays along the way for your road trip:
Top roadtrip stops Sydney to South Coast NSW
Day 1: Sydney to Wollongong
- Start early in the morning from Sydney: Avoiding traffic, begin your journey early to make the most of your day.
- Royal National Park: En route, consider stopping at the Royal National Park. You can take a short hike, enjoy scenic lookouts, a picnic or even swim in the ocean at places like Wattamolla Beach.
- Sea Cliff Bridge: This iconic bridge offers spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean, is a highlight along the Grand Pacific Drive taking in 140 kilometres of coastal scenery from the Royal National Park, Loftus down to Nowra (if you want to go there). Take some time to walk along the bridge and capture amazing photos. Find out more here at Seacliff Bridge
- Wollongong: Reach Wollongong, the third-largest city in NSW, in the afternoon. Relax at the beach, explore the Wollongong Botanic Garden, or visit the Nan Tien Temple, the largest Buddhist temple in the Southern Hemisphere.
Day 2: Wollongong to Jervis Bay
- Kiama: Stop at Kiama to see the famous Kiama Blowhole, a natural rock formation that spouts seawater high into the air.
- Berry: This charming town is known for its boutique shops, galleries, and cafes. See Travellarks Things to do around Berry, NSW. It’s an excellent place to stop for lunch. Visit Berry NSW
- Jervis Bay: Arrive at Jervis Bay, renowned for its white sandy beaches and crystal-clear waters. Visit Hyams Beach, often cited as one of the whitest beaches in the world. See Travellarks Things to do around Jervis Bay, NSW. You can also explore Booderee National Park, home to native wildlife and beautiful bushwalks.
You can stay at one of Travellarks’ WOW stays in Jervis Bay and surrounds. Find out more here South Coast Accommodation
Day 3: Jervis Bay to Batemans Bay
- Huskisson: Explore Huskisson a coastal town in Jervis Bay. You can enjoy dolphin and whale watching tours here.
- Nowra: Visit Nowra, the commercial hub of Shoalhaven, and enjoy activities like kayaking on the Shoalhaven River or exploring local markets.
- Batemans Bay: Reach Batemans Bay, a seaside town known for its beaches and fresh seafood. Take a stroll along the Batemans Bay Bridge, and if you’re interested in wildlife, visit the Mogo Zoo, home to a variety of animals.
Day 4: Batemans Bay to Narooma
- Milton: Stop by Milton, a charming historic town known for its heritage buildings and artsy atmosphere. Visit local galleries and shops.
- Ulladulla: Explore Ulladulla and its picturesque harbor. You can also relax at Mollymook Beach, a popular surfing spot.
- Narooma: Reach Narooma in the afternoon. Enjoy activities like snorkelling with seals in Montague Island or simply relax at the beaches. Don’t miss the Australia Rock, a natural rock formation resembling a map of Australia.
Day 5: Narooma to Eden
- Tilba Tilba: Visit the heritage-listed village of Tilba Tilba, known for its well-preserved 19th-century buildings and artisanal products. Smell the blooms at beautiful Foxglove Gardens at Tilba Tilba. Better still, stay there. Book one of the quaint B&Bs at Foxglove Gardens for couples or a cottage for 4 guests.
- Bega: Explore Bega, famous for its cheese. You can visit the Bega Cheese Heritage Centre to learn about cheese-making processes and taste some delicious cheeses.
- Eden: Reach Eden, the southernmost town in NSW. Visit Beowa National Park (formerly Ben Boyd National Park), home to stunning coastal landscapes and walks. You can also learn about the town’s whaling history at the Eden Killer Whale Museum.
Day 6: Return to Sydney
- Scenic Drive: Consider taking a different route back to Sydney, perhaps through the Snowy Mountains or the Southern Highlands, to experience diverse landscapes.
- Optional Stops: Depending on your interests, you can make stops at places like Kangaroo Valley, Fitzroy Falls, or the Southern Highlands for additional sightseeing.
- Return to Sydney: Arrive back in Sydney, completing your South Coast NSW road trip.